The Protection of Personal Information Act (or POPI Act) is South Africa’s equivalent of the EU GDPR. It sets some conditions for responsible parties (called controllers in other jurisdictions) to lawfully process the personal information of data subjects (both natural and juristic persons). The POPI Act does not stop you from processing and does not require you to get consent from data subjects to process their personal information. Whoever decides why and how to process personal information is responsible for complying with the conditions. There are eight general conditions and three extra conditions. The responsible party is also responsible for a failure by their operators (those who process for them) to meet the conditions.
The POPI Act is important because it protects data subjects from harm, like theft and discrimination. The risks of non-compliance include reputational damage, fines and imprisonment, and paying out damages claims to data subjects. The biggest risk, after reputational damage, is a fine for failing to protect account numbers.
How Does Newscover Collect and Use Information About You?
The information learned from newscover.co.za users, members and customers helps Newscover (PTY) LTD personalize and continually improve your experience at newscover.co.za. Here are the types of information Newscover (PTY) LTD gathers and how this information is used:
Automatic Information: Newscover (PTY) LTD receives and stores certain types of Automatic Information whenever you interact with newscover.co.za here are the types of Automatic Information Newscover (PTY) LTD gathers and how it is used:
IP Address: Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address is a unique identifier used to connect your computer to the Internet. Your IP address also is stored in newscover.co.za user registration databases when you register with newscover.co.za.
IP addresses may be used for various purposes, including to:
- Help Newscover (PTY) LTD identify you and your shopping cart and to gather broad demographic information.
- Diagnose service or technology problems reported by newscover.co.za users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific Web company or ISP.
- Estimate the total number of users visiting newscover.co.za from specific countries or regions of the world.
- Track visits to and business at newscover.co.za stores.
- Help determine which users have access privileges to certain content that newscover.co.za hosts.
Web Beacons: Web pages may contain electronic images (called a “single-pixel GIF” or “Web beacon”) that allow a website to count users who have visited that page or to access certain cookies. Newscover (PTY) LTD uses Web beacons in the following ways:
- Within newscover.co.za in order to count users and to recognize users by accessing newscover.co.za cookies.
- To personalize your experience when you visit newscover.co.za.
- Mobile Device Unique Identifier: newscover.co.za. may from time to time provide services that allow users to access and customize Internet content through mobile phones, PDAs and other alternative devices. These devices may collect different information than what is collected by computers.
- When connecting to newscover.co.za. using a mobile device that provides Internet access, if the mobile device service provider uniquely identifies the device, Newscover (PTY) LTD will receive this information.
- Newscover (PTY) LTD may use this unique mobile device identification information to offer extended services and/or functionality.
- Certain newscover.co.za. services may require the collection of the phone number for your device. Newscover (PTY) LTD may associate that phone number to the mobile device identification information.
- Some mobile phone service providers are required to operate a system that will pinpoint the physical location of devices that use their service.
- Depending on the provider and if you are location Newscover (PTY) LTD may automatically receive this information.
- Newscover (PTY) LTD may use and store this information to provide enhanced location-based services as well as to serve location-targeted advertising.
Personal Information: Newscover (PTY) LTD also receives and stores information that personally identifies you. The types of personally identifiable information that may be collected at newscover.co.za include: name, address, email address, phone number, fax number, billing address, shipping address, product selections, order number, referring URL, IP address, password, username, how you got to know about newscover.co.za, gender, occupation, personal interests, your age and information about your interests in and use of various products, programs and services. You voluntarily provide this personally identifiable information when you enter it on newscover.co.za to sign up as a member of newscover.co.za, whether in connection with a newsletter subscription, when you enter a competition, promotion or contest and/or other special benefits.
At newscover.co.za you can submit personally identifiable information about other people. For example, you might submit a person’s name and email address to email a newscover.co.za news story and, if you are located in South Africa, order a gift on newscover.co.za and want it sent directly to the recipient, you might submit the recipient’s name and address. The types of personally identifiable information that may be collected and stored about other people at newscover.co.za include: recipient’s name, address, email address and telephone number. Newscover (PTY) LTD does not knowingly share with, rent, transfer or sell personally identifiable information that you submit about other people to any third parties or nonaffiliated entities.
If you would like to update the information you provide in your membership account or unsubscribe to newsletters, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org New categories of marketing communications may be added to the account preferences page from time to time. Users who visit this page can opt-out of receiving future marketing communications from these new categories or they can unsubscribe by following instructions contained in the messages they receive. Newscover (PTY) LTD reserves the right to send you certain communications relating to Newscover (PTY) LTD services, such as service announcements, administrative messages and the newscover.co.za newsletter without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
If you are located in the United States and make a purchase on newscover.co.za, Newscover (PTY) LTD will collect and store your personally identifiable information. When processing an order on newscover.co.za, Newscover (PTY) LTD needs to know your name, mailing address, billing address, email address, telephone number, product selection, order number, credit card number, security code and expiration date. This information is necessary to process your order and to keep you updated on your shipping status. Newscover (PTY) LTD may share such information with companies that help us process information, extend credit, fulfil customer orders, deliver products to you, manage and enhance customer data, provide customer service, assess your interest in our products and services, or conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are also obligated to protect your personal information in accordance with Newscover (PTY) LTD’s policies.
Does Newscover (PTY) LTD/ newscover.co.za Ever Share Information with Other Parties?
- Newscover (PTY) LTD provides the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Newscover (PTY) LTD and under confidentiality arrangements. These companies may use your personal information to help Newscover (PTY) LTD communicate with you about offers from Newscover (PTY) LTD and our marketing partners.
- Newscover (PTY) LTD responds to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise Newscover (PTY) LTD legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Newscover (PTY) LTD may also disclose information about you if it determines that for national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary.
- Newscover (PTY) LTD displays targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view or click on targeted ads meet the targeting criteria (for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area). By interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
Newscover.co.za may contain links to other sites whose information practices may be different than the information practices of Newscover (PTY) LTD. Users who click over to a third party site from a link on newscover.co.za must be aware that Newscover (PTY) LTD makes no warranties with regard to that site’s policies or business practices. Newscover (PTY) LTD is not responsible for any transactions that occur between the user and the third party site. Please consult the other sites’ privacy policies, as Newscover (PTY) LTD has no control over information that is submitted to or collected by these third parties. Should a user purchase any products or services from that third party site, the user must contact the third party site directly regarding any disputes that might occur, including but not limited to delayed shipping, missing products, damaged goods or pricing and billing discrepancies. Newscover (PTY) LTD is not responsible for the actions of any third-party site.
Business Transfers: As Newscover (PTY) LTD continues to develop its business, it might sell or buy assets. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the event that Newscover (PTY) LTD or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will be one of the transferred assets.
It is possible that due to fraud or deception by others, Newscover (PTY) LTD may unknowingly receive information pertaining to children under the age of 18. If Newscover (PTY) LTD is notified of this, once Newscover (PTY) LTD has verified the information, Newscover (PTY) LTD will promptly delete the information from its servers or otherwise obtain parental consent.
Public Forums: newcover.co.za has chat rooms, forums, message boards and newsgroups available to its users. Please remember that any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information. Exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information, personally identifiable information you submit to one of these forums can be read, collected, or used by other individuals to send you unsolicited messages. Newscover (PTY) LTD is not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums. As these forums are public and open for users to interact with each other, Newscover (PTY) LTD expects all its users to respect the rights of others.
Consent to International Information Transfers: newscover.co.za is operated in South Africa and is intended for viewing solely in South Africa. While Newscover (PTY) LTD is committed to providing your information with a high level of privacy protection, you should know that the general level of protection for personal information in South Africa may not be the same as that provided in other countries. If you are located outside of South Africa, please be aware that any information you provide to Newscover (PTY) LTD will be transferred to South Africa. By using newscover.co.za, participating in any newscover.co.za services and/or providing Newscover (PTY) LTD with personally identifiable information, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to this transfer and the collection and processing of information in South Africa.
Google Privacy & Terms
Third parties may be placing and reading cookies on users’ browsers or using web beacons to collect information as a result of ad serving on newscover.co.za. Link: HOW GOOGLE USES INFORMATION FROM SITES OR APPS THAT USE OUR SERVICES